Start line Sulphur Springs trail race

What I’ve loved about the only two trail races I’ve ever participated in is watching the ultrarunners as I wait at the start line for my race to begin. There’s always the excitement and nervousness when standing in the crowd: “don’t go too much to the front – you look too keen Jade”, but equally not wanting to be stuck at the very back where all five foot of me can’t see anything happening. But when you see those runners who are competing in the 50km, 100km, 100 mile, whatever the distance is, and they’re just rounding the corner into their final lap, being cheered on by the man on the mic and the crowd, it gives you a sense of inspiration, and hope. If they can stay on their feet that long, then I sure as hell can get 20km done and dusted!


Sulphur Springs was, for me, more about taking on a new trail and being able to say I had another Ontario trail race experience, complete with the swag of course! I’d only ever done The Beav Trail Race back in the fall with a couple of my running buddies. And that was an experience in itself for this amateur trail runner! So when I signed up last minute to Sulphur Springs, I wasn’t really thinking about the race conditions, the course, or even how I’d feel during it. My main aim was to just finish it. 


At 7.30am we all headed off into the abyss of the Dundas Valley, with an immediate steep downhill section. “Okay Jade, remember you’ve got to come back up this at the end”, I was whispering to myself. The usual initial race happenings were starting to unravel around me: someone’s water bottle dropped, a group were discussing that they wanted to complete the course in two hours, someone else was reading my mind and asking their friend “do we come back this way?”. 


There comes a point in every race - road or trail – when the initial surge crowd disperses; the ‘mountain goats’ (as I like to call them) bound forward up the hills, where you see them disappear into the distance, whilst the middle of the crowd (usually where I am) tackle the hills and settle ourselves in for the ride, and the remainder hold back at their own pace. I’m not sure I’d ever use the word ‘comfortable’, but I definitely get to a point about two or three kilometres in where my legs aren’t like lead poles, my breathing has regulated, and I’m starting to adjust to the stride I want to stick to. 


There also comes a moment when you seem to be the only person in the forest; you’re running along and all of a sudden you realise you’re alone. It doesn’t usually last long, but it’s the strangest feeling: a serenity about it, and all you have is the sound of your footsteps, and the sounds of the forest. And usually, a little voice of doubt inside your head wondering if you’ve taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way!


My main concern about this race was the elevation gain: 620m to be precise. And although I’d studied the course map numerous times, I couldn’t quite understand where I’d feel that elevation. EVERYWHERE was the answer. The course was 20 kilometres of never-ending undulation. Just as your legs recovered on those downhills, you’d look up and there would be another quad screaming hill ahead. The hills are actually where I give myself some credit. I don’t know what it is about them but I tend to be able to endure the pain and push through to the top…most of the time! I had to admit defeat twice though during this race: once on the appropriately named “Three Sisters” (and what bitches of hills they were), and on the final climb to the finish, which claimed more than a handful of enthusiastic runners! As usual though, this is where the running community shines, and everyone helps each other along, with an encouraging “come on, you got this!”, or a pat on the back as you run alongside.


Despite the concentration needed to watch your step and not fall flat on your face, there were times when I afforded myself the luxury of looking around as I ran: the tallest trees stretched out ahead of me, the most vibrant greens, crossing a couple of small bridges over streams, and every once in a while, wide, flat sections where a squirrel or chipmunk might cross your path. If there’s one thing I love about trail running, it’s those moments of absolute peace and joy you get from running through a forest, even if it is in race conditions!

Finisher with medal Sulphur Springs trail race

Finished 8th female and 38th overall.


Check out more trail stories on my Instagram page: theamateurtrailrunner