After another brief stint of moving suitcases (and the trusty paddling pool) to our rental for the year, we finally had a chance to look around the neighbourhood and start exploring where we will call home. We’d been lucky enough to find a beautiful house to stay in, and the kindest of landlords whose generosity and effort to provide us with home comforts dampened the initial bout of home sickness. We’re surrounded by woodland, and the sounds you can hear from morning til night are just incredible. We’ve gasped at the sight of giant butterflies (giant to us, anyway!), dragonflies, exotic looking birds (since learned they’re called Cardinals and Blue Jays), and squirrels – I can imagine the Canadians snigger as they read this, as if we’ve never seen wildlife before. One night on my way to bed, I catch a glimpse of a giant, long, black creature slowly crawling out of the girls’ room. After trapping it under a Mega Blok, I whisper shout to Paul who comes running to see what’s going on. As I explain to him about this monster creature I’ve never seen before, he lifts the block and the mosquito flies out at him at full speed! Cue Paul batting the air shouting “it’s a bloody mosquito Jade!”. Bear in mind we’ve travelled to Asia and South America, you’d think I’d know what a mosquito looks like…oh what a sheltered life I’ve lead ‘til this moment!

 

The nearest mall is a stones throw away so it had to be one of the first places we visited. Who did we think we were, attempting a mall with three young kids?! The reality hit us in the face two minutes into a browse round American Eagle, with shouts and cries of “I want to go to the toy shop!” Princess crowns and novelty lip balms in hand, we were back home within an hour, defeated by toddlers…



With Paul starting work, and me still working up the courage to get my Canadian driver’s licence, there’s only so far I’m willing to walk in 30 degree heat with the girls! We’ve discovered a couple of play parks close by, one advertising a ‘coyote in the area’, the other ‘ticks may be found here’. Canines and parasites aside, the parks have given some normality as we adjust to our new life. 

 

The food is another thing we’re still getting used to. “What’s the food like?” is one of the first questions my family always asks if any of us are away on holiday. I didn’t expect that Canada would be wildly different from home, and it’s not for a lot of things. But it’s surprising the simple things you take for granted. We can’t seem to find good quality chicken that doesn’t cost the earth, diluting juice comes in tiny, squeezy bottles that one push too far could invoke diabetes, and I feel like I need a Canada-UK English dictionary to translate half the vegetables: zucchini (courgette), eggplant (aubergine), and my favourite one of all: arugula (rocket). 



Just yesterday, Canada reminded me why we came here. After packing the girls into the double stroller (yes, I call it that now!), we set off to find a green space not far from us. Manoeuvring what felt like a bus with the three of them on board across bridges and busy roads where I still can’t figure out the traffic light system, we found ourselves at Ross Park. In the middle of a busy city with noisy roads, this sanctuary was right there. With a gorgeous iron bridge over the Thames (so much here is named after places in London, England) we could see geese, woodpeckers, and even turtles swimming up onto rocks! There were also running trails and loads of cyclists; seems to be a pretty popular place! And just as I silently congratulated myself for getting us there, I hear Aoife shout “MUMMY! I’M PEEING!”. And I look over and there she is, standing there watering the grass…